As we grow older our skeleton muscles are tend to loss their strength due to which many problem arises. Muscles tend to be wither and weaken at the age of 40 and continuing throughout the life. Urinary incontinence in elderly age is the most common among women. In which an individual is unable to control their urine due to which some amount of urine is discharge.
TYPES OF URINARY INCONTINENCE
There are five types of urinary incontinence but stress incontinence and urge incontinence are the most common among them.
- STRESS INCONTINENCE. In stress incontinence urine is discharge at the time of cough, sneeze, exercise and laugh.
- URGE INCONTINENCE. In urge incontinence there is an overactive bladder in which there is strong and unusual urge to urinate.
- OVERFLOW INCONTINENCE. In this type of incontinence an individual faces dribbling because the bladder is not completely empty.
- FUNCTIONAL INCONTINENCE. This type of incontinence is due to physical and mental impairment.
- MIXED INCONTINENCE. In this type of incontinence an individual faces multiple incontinences.
CAUSES OF URINARY INCONTINENCE
Urinary incontinence is caused by the lifestyle of an individual and the custom and norm they follow.
A doctor’s evaluation can determine the actual reason behind the urinary incontinence. Urinary incontinence is a symptom not a disease which is majorly found in women.
Temporary urinary incontinence
Urinary incontinence is also due to certain medication and diet which increases the amount of urine. Some of them are listed below
- Decaffeinated coffee
- Carbonated drinks
- Artificial sweeteners
- decaffeinated tea
- Spicy food
- Multiple vitamins
- Blood pressure and heart medications
- Urinary tract infection
Persistent urinary incontinence
Urinary incontinence can also be persistent because of the physical changes or problem in an individual, such as
- Child birth
- enlarge prostate
- prostate cancer
- neurological disorder
Treatment for urinary incontinence
Urinary incontinence is a curable and highly treatable problem. Urinary incontinence treatment depends on the cause of the incontinence.
Their treatment includes,
- Behavioral guidance
- Way of living or exercising
Apart from that many companies produces sanitary pads, diapers, women’s pull-on protective underwear, male guard and shield, men’s pull-on protective underwear, adjustable brief and furniture pads.
Gender, age, obesity and other disease can increase the risk of developing the urinary incontinence.
- Gender is an important risk factor because urinary incontinence is found due to menopause and pregnancy.
- Age as we grow older the muscles in our body loses its strength.
- Obesity can lead to excess weight .When an individual is overweight it causes pressure on urinary bladder and surrounding muscles.